Ayden First Baptist exists to make disciples and equip the saints.


History of Ayden First Baptist Church

 Baptist work in Ayden had its unofficial beginning in the year 1890 in a school northwest of Ayden know as Spring Branch schoolhouse. It was at that time that a Sunday School was organized under the leadership of Eddie Mumford (one of 20 charter members) as superintendent and Mr. A.G. Cox as clerk. Church Services were held once a month by the pastor of Antioch Baptist Church (later to become Winterville Baptist church). The church itself was not formed until 1892 according to an article in the October 26, 1892 issue of the Greenville Reflector which stated “the Baptist Church of Ayden, N.C. was to be dedicated the following Sunday with the first sermon being preached by R.T. Vann of Scotland Neck” At the same service R.D, Carroll (who later became the Church’s first pastor) was to be ordained to the ministry. 


            Later the same year, A.G. and Susan Cox gave the land to our present site.  The church still has the original hand written deed.  According to Association Minutes a wood frame, one room sanctuary was constructed with a seating capacity of three hundred. Estimated value of the sanctuary and lot was $5,000.00.


            On July 2nd 1898 the church was officially called The Ayden First Baptist Church. In 1940 after many years of holding Sunday School and worship services in the same building, the original church sanctuary was remodeled.  The rear portion to the Sanctuary was added to furnish separate and private Sunday School rooms in 1943.  In the ensuing years homes were purchased to the south (Frank Hart home) and to the east (Basden home) for the ever expanding Sunday School.


            A tragic fire struck Ayden First Baptist on May 30, 1959, doing much damage ($24,000.00) to the interior of the church and destroying some of the early church records. The congregation met in the Myers Theatre while the sanctuary was being rebuilt.


            On March 1, 1969 ground breaking took place on a new education plant to include the pastor’s study and secretary’s office, fellowship hall kitchen and eleven Sunday School rooms. 


            We look forward to a continuation of our heritage a Christian Fellowship of Bible Study, worship, evangelism, missions, and world-wide witness for Jesus Christ.

Share on Social Media